Thursday, August 7, 2008

Pineapple Express

Pineapple Express
R
Running Time: 111 minutes
USA

Why do I do this to myself?

Let me clarify before your thought processes get off track. There is a certain skill in overcoming what I'd like to officially label as "Christmas Syndrome™" or "CS™". This malady involves seeing an ad for any given product and completely allowing it to define your perception of said item, whether that be a toy, piece of clothing or even a film. Sadly, I fell prey to my own made up disease with this film and would like to hopefully shed some light as to why.

Judd Apatow is an incredible filmmaker. He uses horrible language, extremely crude humor and somewhat gimmicky sight gags...but the skilled part is, he makes you care about characters who are complete and total losers. That's not easy to do...and Mr. Apatow seems to have the capacity to pull it off with regularity. HOWEVER, that only seems to be the case when he directs his movies. When the Apatow name appears only as a producer, the film seems to suffer some...

Which brings me to tonight's word...I mean, review (please don't sue me Mr. Colbert). Plot? Don't bother...it's hardly relevant. A good stoner movie (which, admittedly, this is) cares not for such things. Comedic value? I laughed hysterically for the first half of the movie...almost on par with Superbad...and then it was like watching a firecracker whose fuse reaches the flash point, fizzles and then slowly tips over. It left me wanting. Not a good feeling. It's like the girl that winks seductively, gets your attention and then runs screaming in the other direction (admit it..it's happened to you, too). And this is where CS™ set in. I just kept thinking "Why?! Why did you build this up into another 40 Year Old Virgin when you know that's an incredibly high bench mark to reach?" But then I remind myself...Seth Rogen is good in everything he's been in (I even liked his minuscule role in Donnie Darko), it's at least an Apatow production and James Franco as a stoner looked hysterical. Therefore, after reflecting back on what I just viewed, I can conclude that, based on previous experience with Apatow films and with Seth Rogen, I contracted a slight case of CS™ which most likely affected my overall satisfaction with the film (not to mention the poor casting of Rosie Perez and the fact that the gore at the end almost seemed to be an inside joke between cast and crew). This happened to me somewhat with Superbad...and I'm happy to say that several viewings later I have come to enjoy it thoroughly. Not sure if that will be the case with this latest installment...but we shall see.

If you like stoner flicks, or if you're an Apatow/Rogen fan, check it out. Just lower your expectations a bit, the sure way to cure any lingering CS™.

ADDENDUM: I just remembered something that bothered me, too. Not sure if I was just making things up or not but I could have sworn that there were about 10 plugs for AT&T's "My Moment" ad campaign. If that's true, it bothered me somethin' fierce. Not that I disagree with product placement in films...but if you're gonna do it, do it subtlety!! If anyone else noticed it please let me know so that I don't think I'm crazy...

No comments: