Saturday, October 4, 2008

Catch up - not to be confused with Catsup (or Ketchup)

Ok...I've slacked. I'll admit it. All this free time with being jobless and you'd think that I have ooooooodles of time to write and alas...here I am, playing catch up. Because I've watched quite a few movies in the past few weeks and haven't dedicated any time to reviewing them properly, I'll just do a quick summation and pick up where I left off. Please forgive me...but hopefully I'll have some good suggestions in there for you to check out. Oh, and I'm going to start giving things a rating scale...and since stars, thumbs and smiley faces are SOOOO 15 minutes ago, I'm going to use gold nuggets (a 1 - 5 scale, 1 being a piece of crap and 5 being the bomb.gov) soley because I think the word nugget is pretty funny:

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - 2 nuggets. I'll be honest...this was Peter Sollett trying to recreate Juno and falling WAY short. I love Michael Cera, as I've said before...and Kat Dennings did a decent job at being his counterpart. However, there were a LOT of disjointed pieces, leaving me with a curiosity to read the novel that it was based on. More than likely those scattered pieces made sense in that context. The soundtrack was pretty good, though...I'll admit. Check it out but don't expect too much.

Out of Africa - 4.5 nuggets. A stunning, epic tale of romance, relationships, oppression, feminism and politics. Robert Redford and Meryl Streep give incredible performances in a true story about courage, compassion and love. Yes, it's a "chick flick" to some degree...but let's be honest: All men could use a little estrogen to balance out the macho bull sh** that resides within us. Snuggle up to your loved one, relax and enjoy this one. I promise it's worth it.

Jump Tomorrow - 5 nuggets. Seriously, I LOVED this movie. It reminded me of an appropriate mix of Bottle Rocket and Napoleon Dynamite (stop it...I know what you're thinking...and yes, Napoleon Dynamite was good before it became a cultural icon. Don't fight it). Very quirky, very "indie" and VERY funny. This was a Sundance entry that should have gotten more exposure, in my opinion. Definitely check it out.

What the #$*! Do We (K)now!? - 3.5 nuggets. I've been fascinated with string theory, quantum physics and general relativity for a while now (I'm not trying to sound smart...just think it's interesting) and this movie attempts to put them in layman's terms. It's a bunch of documentary style interview clips surrounded by a narrative story line. Honestly, the narrative bugs the hell out of me but I think it's worth watching for the factual pieces. Watch it with the intent to discuss afterwards. Good brain food.

Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill - 3.5 nuggets. If you're not familiar with Eddie's work, then you may be a little shocked to see him on stage. Yes, he's a British transvestite. Yes, he is a little abrasive. YES, he's hilarious. Watch it if you can handle a lot of cursing and some "adult" material. Pretty funny stuff.

Ok...that's enough for now. I'm recommitting myself to the blog. Look for more soon.

2 comments:

D and J Larson said...

Thanks DC We've been lost without you -- although at least I've known what Fish tacos to eat. - D

Unknown said...

Very glad that I chose to watch Appaloosa instead of Nick and Norah. Also, Jump Tomorrow added to netflix queue.