Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Machinist (oh...and The Foot Fist Way)

The Machinist(2004)
R
Running Time: 102 Minutes
Spain
4.5 Nuggets

Some method actors make me roll my eyes at their pathetic attempts to get in touch with the characters they play...others make me respect the trade. I hadn't heard anything about this movie until I got it in the mail. After watching the first few minutes and wondering out loud "I thought this had Christian Bale in it..." my jaw hit the floor, realizing that the skeletal figure I was staring at in disbelief was The Dark Knight himself. Method actor? I should say so...

Mr. Bale lost 63 lbs to play the role of Trevor Reznik (yes, that picture is REALLY him), a machine worker that hasn't slept for over a year and whose body is obviously paying the price. The movie centers around some strange events that take place in the shop which lead him, and the audience, to question his sanity. Nobody is sure if he's seeing things or if it is a huge conspiracy, out to exact revenge on the sleepy protagonist. With strong supporting roles played by Jennifer Jason Leigh and Aitana Sánchez-Guijón, Brad Anderson directs a truly thrilling and Hitchcockian drama about just how badly our head can mess with us in the event of sleeplessness. The film was shot entirely on location in Barcelona but was made to look like a run down part of LA. Great cinematography, awesome tension built through fantastic mise-en-scène and the fact that Christian Bale is literally a walking skeleton make this one movie you should definitely check out. It's rated R for some graphic violence, sexual images and adult language...but worth it. Trust me.

Oh, and don't waste your time with The Foot Fist Way. 0 nuggets. Worthless. Not Funny. Makes me want to punch Will Ferrell and Adam Mckay (producers) in the junk and make them tell me some jokes to bring laughter back into my life. Even Danny McBride couldn't salvage this one. BOOOOOOOOO.

No comments: