Saturday, July 12, 2008

Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory
PG-13
Running Time: 87 minutes
USA

This movie review is dedicated to my mother who is in constant pursuit of truth, "normalcy" and sanity. Not to suggest that she is insane...only that we are all searching for a sense of validation and stability. Everyone's in the same proverbial boat...which is what director Marcos Siega tries to show his audience in this romantic comedy drama.

Ryan Reynolds plays an efficiency expert who meticulously follows a daily schedule that is hand written on index cards. He feels that by doing this his life will have order, through which he can maintain control of his surroundings. As the title suggests, however, his very structured life turns chaotic after a series of unsettling events, leaving him reeling and trying to regain any semblance of control that he once had. I'll leave the details vague...no spoilers here.

As I'm writing this review and reflecting back over what I just watched, I'm picking out more lines that struck me as profound. Which, really, is sort of odd given that the movie had more comedic overtones than I thought it would. Still, Siega and writer Daniel Taplitz were able to include several very insightful commentaries about just how randomized life tends to be. I would suggest picking this one up, mainly because Emily Mortimer and Ryan Reynolds give great performances (I've always liked Reynolds, in spite of some of his movie choices). It's very light hearted, in spite of some dramatic scenes and is one to watch with your spouse/significant other since it's got the romance element as well. Plus, it's got the nerdy stop-and-think-about-what-you're-watching tidbits that keep it interesting for geeks like me. I liked the movie a lot...but it's nowhere close to breaking into the top 50. Just a good Friday night flick in with the loved one. Enjoy!

1 comment:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

perfect. we're renting it tonight. and by the way, i am hot for ryan reynolds. i too wish he'd pick more refined movies, but i'll see anything he's in just for some eye candy.