Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hancock

Hancock
PG-13
Running time: 92 minutes
USA

Ok...before you start wondering...I really DON'T have any physical attraction to Will Smith. Yes, I mentioned I have a man crush on him and this is the second WS movie that I've seen in the past week or two...it's nothing serious. Let's just leave it at imaginary friends and call it good. Deal? Ok. Moving on...(awkward)

A few people in the office and I went to see this movie at lunch today because it was one of their birthdays. It was a matinée, I was semi-interested in seeing it (thanks to Charlize Theron and Jason Bateman) and it got me out of work. Why not, right? I read the reviews this morning (it's getting panned almost universally), leaving me with extremely low expectations. Plus, it is a WS movie that's coming out on the 4th of July weekend which usually means huge explosions, little plot and some cheesy one-liners. However, I was pretty surprised at not only how entertained I was throughout the majority of the movie but at how well done it was. The story line concerns one John Hancock, a mysterious superhero that does inordinate amounts of damage to the city every time he helps someone. He's also an alcoholic which leads to several raucously funny scenes at the first of the film. After saving the life of a PR man (Bateman), Hancock decides to allow him a chance at reviving his image of the superhero that everyone thinks he should be...thus allowing the plot to unfold.

I'm keeping this post short for a few reasons: first, it's not anything masterful. It was never intended to be. Therefore, very little "insight" needs providing, in my opinion. Second, it's a summer blockbuster that needs little selling. If you're into this type of movie, you'll enjoy it thoroughly. Third, my fingers hurt (and now my back's gonna hurt 'cause I just pulled landscaping duty...anyone?). This movie was a pleasant surprise for me. WS, Theron and Bateman (I'm seriously SO excited for the Arrested Development movie...I can't even begin to tell you) make it what it is. They are very good mixes of comedic and dramatic actors...able to switch gears quickly and seamlessly. The explosions and CGI seemed a little hokey in places but for the most part I enjoyed them. All in all, go check it out...and see it in the theater during a matinée. It's meant to be seen on the big screen.

3 comments:

D and J Larson said...

Happy Gilmore! We all have crushes on willy both guys and girls ... no need to hide it DC. I'm glad you enjoyed a mass populated film!

Steven said...

Stop denying your love for Will Smith. We all know what you are thinking...."Is the rumor true"????? I believe it is true, therefore your love for Mr Smith is justified completely.

jed said...

good review. nyla and i almost watched it this weekend but thought it might be dumb. now we'll go see it. thanks!