Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Crash

Crash
R
Running Time: 112 Minutes
USA

For those of you who know me well, it's almost a certainty that at one point my distaste for most things "mainstream and/or popular" has surfaced in conversation. I've softened on that position somewhat over the years...but I reserve the right to prejudge any film that is presented to me. Crash has been on my list of movies to see ever since I heard about it my first year working at Sundance. However, and this is where my prejudgment comes in, it has never been a priority because EVERY review that I've seen has been EXTREMELY positive...scary, right?

Wrong.

Allow me to make a bold statement: this movie should be shown on public television...everyone should have access to it. Not very often do movies come about that affect me deeply...but this is one of them. Paul Haggis deserved his two Oscars and the rest of the nominations which isn't always the case (Halle...I'm looking in your direction). Honestly, some of the scenes in this movie are so intense I was poised to fall off my couch. I'm pissed at myself for not seeing this earlier...but hopefully I can reach out and help any of you that may have made the same mistake to repent and change your evil ways.

The story plays off the idea that we are all affected daily by complete strangers. Each set of characters goes through the course of two days and, without knowing, affects the outcomes of all the other's lives. You know you have a good movie when the likes of Sandra Bullock and Brendan Fraser give excellent performances...on top of the abilities of veterans such as Don Cheadle and Jennifer Esposito. Plus, Matt Dillon's Oscar was well deserved (he has probably the most intense scene in the movie...I was floored).

I love when a director can take social issues, craft them around beautiful writing and flawless acting and use his direction to POSE questions...leaving us to answer them accordingly. Given a new life and a new set of talents, that is what I would dedicate my time to...because I think, like other mediums, art is the catalyst that forces us from our comfort zone and into alternate realities. Crash is one of those films that accomplishes that...at least, for me. I STRONGLY suggest you see it...and let the questions be asked.

3 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

heard anything about "year one"?

DC United said...

Just what's on imdb a few weeks ago...Michael Cera? Jack Black? Hank Azaria? David Cross? and written/directed by Harold Ramis? Plus, it's got Apatow's company making it...if that movie flops then I'm going to lose faith in humanity...

D and J Larson said...

I loved this movie... i'm surprised that this is on your good list but i'm glad that it is.