Monday, June 30, 2008

Interpol

Interpol
Formed: 1997, NYC
Current Members: Paul Banks, Daniel Kessler, Carlos Dengler, Sam Fogarino
Discography: Turn On the Bright Lights, Antics, Our Love to Admire
Wikipedia Info

Since this is my first music post, I'm undecided on how the format should be. What information is the most pertinent? What are you, the avid readers (reader, actually...Hi Liz ;)), wanting to know about the bands that I'll post? I guess I'll stick with their official website, the members, year formed, discography and a link to their wikipedia page? Who knows...the point, however, will be this: These bands have changed my life in some way, shape or form. Music is more than just a pastime for me. It's a way of life. Without it I would literally be lost. So, if you've heard of them let me know what you think...if you haven't, then I urge you to check them out.

Interpol is one of those bands that you either love or hate...there's no middle ground. They have been compared to Joy Division quite often...but I don't really see the correlation. I'm not sure why...but Interpol has stood the test of time for me in a HUGE way. For some reason I'm always in the mood to listen to them...always. That's probably because their music is very ambient sounding: lots of reverb on the guitars, multiple layers of guitar/bass, technical drum work that's not overbearing and Paul's almost apparition-like voice. An admission: I have fallen asleep to music every night of my life except for the nearly 3 years that I was married. Which music totally depends on the mood I'm in but, as you can probably imagine, it's usually mellow. One of my go-to albums is Turn On the Bright Lights because it instantly calms me down. It's like a nice sedative...simplistic enough to not keep my mind engaged but also complex to the point that I don't get bored with it. It's actually quite a phenomenon...'cause they play VERY simplistic riffs and add occasional keyboard arrangements but it produces an incredibly full sound. For anyone that hasn't heard them, I suggest you start of with the track "Untitled" off of Turn On the Bright Lights. Honestly, that's what did it for me...it was true love at first listen. Lucky for me, I don't think this relationship will ever end...and after their latest album's release, I can only imagine that our love will grow stronger with time.

No comments: