Monday, June 16, 2008

Kung Fu Panda

Kung Fu Panda
PG
Running Time: 92 minutes
USA

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my daughter, London, for forcing me to open my world to the wonders of animation. Ever since she was born 4 years ago, I've been fascinated by the Pixar movies (a side note: I am STOKED to see Wall E...don't laugh but it's true) and have taken moderate interest in the Dreamworks additions as well. I don't know if it's the amount of collaboration that goes into each of these creations, dumb luck or both that makes them so special but honestly...these aren't just silly kids movies anymore. They are actual films with great writing, voice talent and style. Kung Fu Panda fits those descriptions perfectly.

The plot revolves around Po, a clumsy panda who is destined to inherit his father's noodle business but who dreams of being a great kung fu warrior. Through a series of mishaps, Po winds up with more than he bargained for and becomes nominated as The Dragon Warrior who will defend the town from Tai Lung, a rogue warrior who defected long ago. Although this story line has been done many times before, the style that Osborne and Stevenson give the film almost makes you forget the myriad other movies similar to it. The cut scenes and fight choreography are excellently constructed, too...so much so that several times throughout the movie I thought I was watching either the best video game I'd ever seen or the most incredible Jackie Chan flick to date. However, the biggest reason to throw down the money for this one is Jack Black who definitely steals the show...which given the cast of voices (Angelina Jolie, Lucy Liu, Dustin Hoffman, Seth Rogen and Jackie Chan himself) is a feat unto itself. I'll be totally honest with you...Jack Black is a hilarious man. Not sure if you've realized that yet...but if not, go watch Orange County, High Fidelity or School of Rock to assist you...not to mention his jaunts with Kyle Gass, known to some as Tenacious D. I don't think I need to sell anyone on this movie...for once there's a summer blockbuster that delivers exactly what it promises: a family friendly, freakin' funny, fast paced fight film...hooray for alliteration!

3 comments:

jed said...

Well, I'm stoked to see this one. Although, I know we may have way different tastes in movies, we'll probably have similar feelings about this one.

DC United said...

Amen, brother! I really can't imagine anyone hating it. Enjoy!

Lindsey said...

My kids are just the excuse to see these movies :)

Kung Fu Panda and Wall e are amazing!